More and more we are learning about the devastating effects that commercial weed-killers like Roundup have not only on our soils but also contaminating our water and foods. At Brigit’s Garden we are committed to bio-diversity, allowing the Earth to be as she wants to be and to practicing organic gardening. Those plants that appear where we ideally would prefer they don’t appear can be a challenge to control so we created a natural herbicide that works wonderfully, is inexpensive and safe for you, your children and the health of the soil.
We adapted this receipt from Mary Reynold’s wonderful book The Garden Awakening, available in our gift shop.
- 15 drops of orange essential oil
- 1l (2 pints) 10% acidity white distilled vinegar
- 1 TBSP sugar
- 1 TBSP castille soap
- ½ cup Epsom salts
Mix all ingredients together and dispense into a hand sprayer or backpack sprayer. Spray the plants on a dry, sunny day. We find that one good application does the trick although you can apply a second dose 24 hours later if needed.
- White distilled vinegar (10%) acidity can be found at Polish grocery stores or online at amazon.co.uk. It is important to use the correct vinegar (no other vinegar will have the same effect).
- Epsom salts, castille soap and orange essential oil can be found at natural food shops.
- You can substitute the essential oil by soaking the peel of one orange in the vinegar overnight. Remove the peel before adding the other ingredients.