Brigit’s Garden, Co. Galway invites applications for the post of
Brigit’s Garden is an innovative not-for-profit project and registered charity on an 11-acre site in Co. Galway with unique Celtic gardens, a variety of habitats and a visitor centre. We are a values-driven organisation with a strong ethos, providing a resource for the community and a range of services in education, tourism and the environment. We are committed to sustainability in action through enhancing biodiversity, installing a range of renewable energies, becoming carbon negative, reducing plastic use and inspiring visitors of all ages to do likewise.
Brigit’s Garden has established an excellent reputation for education relating to nature, the environment and sustainability. We offer programmes for primary schools, secondary schools, youth groups and teachers, as well as summer camps for local children and nature-based events for families and adults. We work closely with educational organisations including Worldwise Global Schools, the Sustainable Energy Authority of Ireland, Galway Education Centre, NUI Galway and Science Foundation Ireland.
We have recently applied to QQI for recognition as a provider approved to offer programmes up to Level 6 on the National Framework of Qualifications. This is a major development for Brigit’s Garden and will enable us to deliver a Level 6 programme in Forest School Leadership. As part of this development, we are cooperating closely with the Irish Forest School Association and Irish-based forest school trainers. There is potential for significant growth in this area of work.
Education Coordinator position
This is an exciting opportunity for an exceptional person who can take our education programmes in environment and sustainability to the next level and drive the development of our Forest School Leadership and related programmes.There will be an opportunity for some hands-on teaching, but we anticipate that programme coordination and development will be a major part of the role.
The successful applicant must be highly motivated, have leadership skills and a ‘can do’ attitude and be able to foster and maintain positive relationships internally and externally. They will have the skills and experience to take a strategic approach to our education objectives while efficiently implementing and coordinating our quality assurance system and procedures.
The person will join our small, dedicated team of full and part-time staff and Community Employment trainees. The work will be based at Brigit’s Garden with flexibility for some hours worked from home. The role will also include travel to offsite training locations, meeting with external partners and attendance at relevant events.
- Coordinating day-to-day operation and administration of our education and training programmes
- Leading the education team of part-time and contract staff and tutors, including scheduling, organising training as needed and responsibility for child safety and safeguarding
- Working with the Operations Director and other section coordinators on the development of Brigit’s Garden as a whole, focusing on our ethos and aims
- Ensuring compliance with relevant policies, procedures, legislation, standards, codes of conduct and general principles of good governance with regard to education
- Coordinating the development of new programmes in relation to nature connection, renewable energy, climate change and sustainability
- Seeking funding opportunities; writing and reporting on funding applications
- Undertaking other duties of a similar level and responsibilities as may be required from time to time
Quality assurance for QQI-validated courses
- Overseeing the implementation of the quality assurance system on a day-to-day basis, training users and maintaining our quality assurance documentation
- Internal verification of assessment results and processes
- Supporting and communicating with tutors; overseeing tutor observation procedures
- Ensuring that training facilities are fit-for-purpose, inspecting onsite and offsite venues
- Coordinating and monitoring self-evaluation and feedback processes, learner supports and resources and validation procedures for new programmes
Information, administration and communications
- Providing administrative support and reports for the Education Board
- Overseeing the online learning environment and related IT infrastructure
- Working with marketing to publish programmes and educational information
- Producing quality reports, disseminating and acting on the findings
- Developing and maintaining productive working relationships with external stakeholders
- Representing Brigit’s Garden on committees, working groups and other forums as required
Skills and experience required
- An understanding of and commitment to our ethos
- A qualification at level 8 or equivalent on the NFQ in a relevant area
- Track record in environmental education and sustainability, with a minimum of 4 years’ experience working in environmental education or similar
- Track record in inspiring and motivating adults or children to engage with nature and sustainability
- Demonstrable teaching and facilitation skills
- Knowledge and experience of operating within a quality assurance framework
- Excellent teamworking, leadership, communication and interpersonal skills
- Strong organisational and project-management skills including managing budgets
- Excellent writing skills, for reports, applications and other material
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft Office and related software
- Experience in eLearning and use of webinar software
- Current driving licence
- Skills and experience in educational programme development
- Competency in Irish
- The position is full time, however there may be some flexibility regarding hours
- This is a permanent position with a six-month probationary period
- The person will be employed by the Board of Trustees of Brigit’s Garden and report to the Operations Director
Please download the Application Form HERE, fill it in and email it to the Operations Director, Jenny Beale, at email@example.com. Jenny can also provide additional information if required. Applications without an Application Form will not be considered. The closing date is 5th November 2021. Interviews for shortlisted candidates are provisionally scheduled for 22nd – 24th November.
Thank you for your interest.
Brigit’s Garden, Roscahill, Co. Galway
091 550905 www.brigitsgarden.ie